The Serenity Prayer…three simple sentences that encompass a deeply profound blend of acceptance, courage, and wisdom.
Don’t let its simplicity fool you. Grasping and embracing the power of its intention can have a huge impact on the peacefulness of your life. It has on mine. Here’s where I find the magic in this small, yet enormous prayer:
God, Grant me the Serenity to Accept the Things I Cannot Change…
Acceptance is LOVE.
Acceptance is letting go of trying to change or control someone or something. Therefore, when I accept you, I love you as you are. What can’t you change?
- Others – You can’t change anyone else.
- Your past – Your past is behind you.
- This present moment – This moment is happening exactly as it is supposed to. Accepting that will give you peace in this very moment.
God, Grant me the Courage to Change the Things I Can….
Courage is facing FEAR.
Courage is acknowledging fear and moving toward it. When you find the courage to change things that no longer serve you, you find inspiration and growth. What can you find the courage to change?
- Yourself – You can change yourself in every capacity.
- Your perception of the past – Your past can keep you stuck in the present. When you find forgiveness for yourself and others, you can let go of the stories from your past that don’t serve you. Then you can find peace …
- Your gratitude meter – Do you see abundance or lack? Purpose or pointlessness? When you acknowledge what you already have, you find gratitude and change your experience of “right now.”
- Your future through today’s choices – Every decision you make today will have an impact on and change your future.
- Letting go of things and people that don’t serve you – Toxic relationships, a passionless job, addiction, self-defeating behavior and language, unhealthy habits.
God, Grant me the Wisdom to Know the Difference
Wisdom is intuitive insight.
Knowing when to peacefully accept and when to courageously step in requires trusting your intuition and deep self-wisdom. When you let go of control, you allow life to unfold, and you find a place of balance, between acceptance and change. How do you find the wisdom to know the difference?
- By listening to your Heart – Through meditation, prayer…stillness, silence and time.
- By noticing when you’re hooked on the outcome – Notice when you’re in resistance to “what is.” The message of discomfort is a wise inner voice trying to help you let go, to find acceptance and peace. When you surrender to that wisdom within, you will find the peace that you seek.
when you accept, you love. When you let go of control, you find peace.
Your inner wisdom knows what you can change and what is out of your power. You will wisely and intuitively sense the right blend of accepting and letting go or stepping in and creating change, both of which require deep courage. I’m grateful for the wise sage who wrote this prayer. He learned how to transmute his life in a world in which he knew the key to finding what we all desire…Serenity.
Thanks for being you. Peace friend ✌😊
p.s. Check out my video on this topic at: The Serenity Prayer’s Wisdom